posted on December 28, 2011 08:46
2011: A Year of Giving Back…
..and a look ahead at 2012
As the year comes to a close, Ilitch Charities celebrates the many ways we have put our heart into helping our community in 2011. Following are some of the activities that show just how Ilitch Charities put its mission into practice:
· A Record-breaking Gala & Golf Classic – The 4th Annual Ilitch Charities One Team, One Community Gala and Celebrity Golf Classic were the most successful yet, raising over $270,000! Benefiting organizations included nonprofit groups that have a major impact on the quality of life in our community: City Year, S.A.Y. Detroit, and the Detroit Zoological Society.
· Charity Partner Program Gives Colleagues Chance to Give Back – Ilitch companies’ colleagues came out in full force to give back to our community through the donation of goods this year. Every colleague donated at least one item in the quarterly clothing, food, book, and toy drives which showed that this program is here to stay! We look forward to continuing to give our colleagues a chance to donate goods to the greatest areas of need in our community.
· Increased Web Presence – Ilitch Charities has been extremely active through IlitchCharities.org, Facebook and Twitter in 2011. We have established event calendars, ways to get involved, and promoted exciting activities taking place across all the Ilitch companies. If you’re ever curious what we’re up to, be sure to surf online for continuous updates!
· College Scholarships for Local Youth Hockey Players – Ilitch Charities was once again proud to provide scholarships to a number of exception student-athletes in the Little Caesars Hockey Program. This year had a unique twist as a few past recipients attended our annual luncheon to speak to this year’s class on the impact this scholarship has had on their college careers!
· Affiliates Continue to Enhance Lives through Sports – The development of the Detroit Red Wings Foundation’s School Program throughout southeastern Michigan showed the extreme importance the game of hockey has amongst the youth in our community, while the Detroit Tigers Foundation continued to excel through building baseball fields and providing a much needed activity for local youths. The “Toast of Hockeytown” and “Keeping Kids in the Game” events also provided another successful year of fundraising!
· Holiday Cheer – 28 families in need received assistance during the holiday season through the Ilitch Charities Adopt-A-Family program. This was the most families we have ever supported in the eight-year existence of the program. Assistance ranged from emergency mortgage payments to food vouchers and medical bill payments.
As 2012 draws near, Ilitch Charities looks forward to making an even greater impact on our community…and colleagues will be invited to help! We look forward to providing colleagues more opportunities to get involved with Ilitch Charities in 2012. Keep your eyes open for these programs in the New Year! Thank you for your support of Ilitch Charities, and happy holidays!